COVID-19 restrictions mostly eased, although some countries still have them in place. 2022 was marked in large part by the invasion of Ukraine by Russia in February, with gaming companies like Microsoft and CD Projekt joining a global sanctions program against Russia in retaliation for the invasion, which included financial sanctions (such as banning Russian banks from the SWIFT international banking system), and the banning of all Russian company and individual-owned planes from a vast swathe of air space in Europe and North America. Major sports competitions either banned or sanctioned Russian teams and athletes, with perhaps the most high-profile events of these being the Haas Formula 1 team dropping controversial driver Nikita Mazepin and its flagship Russian sponsor Uralkali over ties of the owner of Uralkali to PM Vladimir Putin and the Russian government.
Many video game hardware and software companies operating in Ukraine have had to shut down as war ravages the country. The long-term impact of this war is not yet clear.
Notable video games so far released in 2022 include:
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel, a tournament-style implementation of the popular TCG with single-player and multi-player support.
- Re-releases of Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue and Kingdom Hearts III for the Nintendo Switch.
- Upgraded version of Cyberpunk 2077 for PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X, with a limited patch available for previous-gen console systems.
- Horizon Forbidden West, the hotly-anticipated sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn, set in a post-apocalyptic Earth.
- Elden Ring, a soulslike video game, was also released to critical acclaim in February.
- Gran Turismo 7 was released exclusively to the PlayStation 5 in March as the latest main series Gran Turismo title since Gran Turismo 5 on the PlayStation 3. The game touts itself as both the ultimate racing simulator, as well as a guide to motor sports history in general to players new or unfamiliar with motor sporting history.
|Steam Deck||February 25, 2022||Handheld PC||North America|