ATONE: Heart of the Elder Tree is a Norse mythology-inspired, hand-drawn game that blends interactive storytelling and complex puzzles with a rhythm game combat system created by Game Developer. The player character is a young warrior named Estra who journeys through Midgard to uncover the truth behind her father’s death.
Midgard is tainted by unknown forces and decays from within because the gods left the once-thriving land. The sacred Elder Tree, whom Odin’s chosen guardians promised to protect, is in great danger. The last hope is Estra, the daughter of the mighty warrior Thyon.
With a heavy emphasis on narrative, Estra’s journey through Midgard is filled with Nordic lore, mysterious twists, and consequential decisions. Players will converse with a variety of characters and share in Estra’s discoveries as she learns more about her family’s past and the looming darkness spreading across the realm.
(With official information from the press kit)
Estra’s path is fraught with difficult decisions and untrustworthy characters that can lead her astray. Her story is intertwined with the player’s ability to discern fact from fiction and to decide right from wrong. Avoid battle, help companions, save your people, but remember that the consequences are Estra’s to bear.
Along the way, players must solve incrementally challenging puzzles that reveal insightful secrets, fantastical abilities, and hidden passageways. While trial and error is useful, patience is necessary. Not every problem allows for multiple mistakes and failure is most certainly an option. The answers you seek may be lost if you make the wrong decision.
Violence isn’t always necessary, but, when push comes to shove, ATONE’s combat is a delicate dance of sword and axe. Combat is grounded in the rhythm game genre and the mechanics of titles like "Guitar Hero" and "Dance Dance Revolution". Music is a crucial component in ATONE, with each fight receiving its very own song.
- Individually crafted by Wildboy Studios
- Use of 40 minutes of rotoscoped cutscenes
- The visual art is inspired by works of Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, Clone Wars)
Wildboy Studios is a New Zealand-based company.
- Ben Costeloe (Visuals)
- Patric Corletto (Programming)
- Sid Bardiya (Jack of all Trades)
- ATONE's story is written by Wildboy Studios and the UK-based writer, Rebecca Haigh.
- Jim DeLuca (Producer)
- Mirko Corletto (Programming Support)
- Music and sound design was created by Luminist (a.k.a. James Shuar) and the American composer, Andrew Prahlow (Outer Wilds, Eclipse Edge of Light).
"Emergence" the ATONE trailer theme by Luminist
- An Apple Arcade subscription is required.