Bigpoint Games is a German video game developer that also runs a gaming portal website with a number of browser-based massively multiplayer online role playing games it has produced and has over 200 million registered users (announced in June 2011).
Heiko Hubertz founded the company in 2002 and remains CEO.
In June 2008, General Electric and NBC Universal, along with European private-equity group GMT Communications Partners, bought out a 70 percent share of Bigpoint. NBCU has featured some of Bigpoint's games on the websites of some of its cable channels.
On April 26, 2011, TA Associates and Summit Partners invested $350 million into Bigpoint to become the majority shareholders. Previous shareholders Comcast Interactive Capital’s Peacock Equity Fund sold their holdings in this transaction. GMT Communications Partners and GE sold a majority of their stakes. Hubertz retained his existing ownership stake in the company.
List of games developed by Bigpoint
List of games published by Bigpoint
- WonderKing Online
- Drift City
- War Machines
- Bigpoint Offers Free Browser-Based Arcade Games, September 20, 2007
- Bigpoint Surpasses 200 Million Gamers Worldwide, Bigpoint, June 20, 2011, http://bigpoint.net/index.es?action=press&subpage=press_archiv&newsID=414&lang=en&sid=071a0511f21b6a51a78bd957c303d471
- Szalai, Georg (June 12, 2008), Peacock Fund Takes Bigpoint Stake, The Hollywood Reporter, http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/news/nontraditional/e3i367a96a3b9002532394528a74de47ff8, retrieved February 3, 2009
- Bigpoint, Europe's Leading Multiplayer Game Publisher, Expands Into US Market With Rapid-Fire Launch Schedule, Marketwire, December 3, 2008, http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Bigpoint-926487.html
- Online Games Leader Bigpoint Announces Summit Partners and TA Associates to Make $350 Million Investment, Bigpoint, April 26, 2011, http://bigpoint.net/index.es?action=press&subpage=press_archiv&newsID=398&lang=en&sid=071a0511f21b6a51a78bd957c303d471
- Online Gaming Outfit Bigpoint Points To Some Big Numbers TechCrunch June 20, 2011
- The Next Wave of Free-to-Play: Licensing Gamasutra June 16, 2011
- Battlestar Galactica Online Surpasses 2 Million Players Jostiq May 26, 2011
- Investors buy majority stake in online game maker Bigpoint for $350M VentureBeat April 25, 2011
- Bigpoint Talks Drakensang Online Massivley March 21, 2011
- Bigpoint expands to US with Electronic Arts digital distribution deal VentureBeat February 28, 2011
- Bigpoint saves Planet Moon game studio with hiring binge VentureBeat January 1, 2011
- Bigpoint in €70 million buy-out, at www.growthbusiness.co.uk, June 9, 2008.
- Bigpoint’s Sale to NBC-GMT a Big Deal: Online gaming company fetches $110 million, signifying continued interest in the space from major media companies and ongoing consumer interest., By JONATHAN MARINO, Mergers & Acquisitions Report via mergersunleashed.com, June 9, 2008.
- Peacock, GMT agree to majority buyout of Bigpoint, siliconindia news bureau, June 12, 2008.
- GMT and NBC Universal take over Bigpoint, Galaxynews.com June 9, 2008.
|This European video game corporation or company-related article is a Stub. You can help by adding to it.|
pt:Bigpoint simple:Bigpoint GmbH fi:Bigpoint tr:Bigpoint