Bigpoint Games is a German video game developer that also runs a gaming portal website with a number of browser-based massively multiplayer online role playing games it has produced and has over 200 million registered users (announced in June 2011).
Heiko Hubertz founded the company in 2002 and remains CEO.
In June 2008, General Electric and NBC Universal, along with European private-equity group GMT Communications Partners, bought out a 70 percent share of Bigpoint. NBCU has featured some of Bigpoint's games on the websites of some of its cable channels.
On April 26, 2011, TA Associates and Summit Partners invested $350 million into Bigpoint to become the majority shareholders. Previous shareholders Comcast Interactive Capital’s Peacock Equity Fund sold their holdings in this transaction. GMT Communications Partners and GE sold a majority of their stakes. Hubertz retained his existing ownership stake in the company.
- WonderKing Online
- Drift City
- War Machines
- Bigpoint Offers Free Browser-Based Arcade Games, September 20, 2007
- Bigpoint Surpasses 200 Million Gamers Worldwide, Bigpoint, June 20, 2011, http://bigpoint.net/index.es?action=press&subpage=press_archiv&newsID=414&lang=en&sid=071a0511f21b6a51a78bd957c303d471
- Szalai, Georg (June 12, 2008), Peacock Fund Takes Bigpoint Stake, The Hollywood Reporter, http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/news/nontraditional/e3i367a96a3b9002532394528a74de47ff8, retrieved February 3, 2009
- Bigpoint, Europe's Leading Multiplayer Game Publisher, Expands Into US Market With Rapid-Fire Launch Schedule, Marketwire, December 3, 2008, http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Bigpoint-926487.html
- Online Games Leader Bigpoint Announces Summit Partners and TA Associates to Make $350 Million Investment, Bigpoint, April 26, 2011, http://bigpoint.net/index.es?action=press&subpage=press_archiv&newsID=398&lang=en&sid=071a0511f21b6a51a78bd957c303d471