|Developer(s)||Square Enix, TOSE (XBLA/PSN ports)|
|Release date||Mobile phone|
January 28, 2008 (JP)
December 17, 2008 (INT)
December 17, 2008 (INT)
January 27, 2009 (JP)
April 20, 2009 (R1); May 18, 2009 (R2) (NA)
April 24, 2009 (R1); May 22, 2009 (R2) (EU)
March 11, 2009 (INT)
August 6, 2009 (NA)
July 23, 2009 (INT)
October 29, 2009 (NA)
|Age rating(s)||ESRB: E|
|Platform(s)||Mobile phone, iOS, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, WiiWare|
|Arcade system||Arcade System Missing|
|Credits | Soundtrack | Codes | Walkthrough|
Crystal Defenders is a tower defense video game by Square Enix. The game was originally released under the title Crystal Guardians (クリスタル ガーディアンズ Kurisutaru Gādianzu ) for mobile phones. Versions for the iPod, iOS, WiiWare, Xbox Live Arcade, and PlayStation Network were later released under its current title.
Crystal Defenders takes place after the events of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift and features units from the Final Fantasy Tactics series. The objective of the game is for the player to stop waves of monsters from stealing a cache of crystals in a maze by strategically positioning units to destroy them before they escape with their loot. Each unit has their own special attributes, and have particular strengths and weakness against certain enemies.
The game features 300 stages (waves of monsters) spread across three chapters of increasing challenge.
The three chapters of Crystal Guardians were first released separately for mobile phones in Japan only, and were respectively titled W1, W2, and W3. They were later repacked as standalone Crystal Defenders games and released worldwide for iPod Classic/Nano (W1 and W2 only) and iOS (W1, W2 and W3).
The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions are enhanced ports of the iOS version. A PlayStation Portable version, also based on the iOS version, was released on October 29, 2009. The WiiWare version was released in two episodes, Crystal Defenders R1 and R2. The console versions all feature online leaderboards.
Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm, a sequel/spin-off to Crystal Defenders was released for the iOS in May 2009. Vanguard Storm is a turn-based strategy game that requires players to defend their position on the right from monsters that are invading from the left side. As with Crystal Defenders, it features character classes and monsters from Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.
- "Zelda Classic Becomes 300th Virtual Console Game". Nintendo of America. 2009-05-18. http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/rl33Ipv_7uHSJNVTxxe8YIHqtZHdgkxp. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- Crystal Defenders Comes Home
- IGN Crystal Defenders for iPhone review
- CRYSTAL GUARDIANS - クリスタル ガーディアンズ
- Final Eclipse << DreizehnteφNichtvorhandensein 『CRYSTAL GUARDIANS W2』:配信開始日決定
- 旧 FF&KH情報倉庫 | ファイナルファンタジー＆キングダムハーツ ONLiNFO - CRYSTAL GUARDIANS Archive
- Which Version Of Crystal Defenders Should You Get?
- PlayStation Store Update
- Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm Is Another Dose Of Final Fantasy Defense
- Official North American Crystal Defenders site (Wii-Ware)
- Official Japanese Crystal Guardians site (Mobile)
- Official North American Crystal Defenders site (All platforms)