Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a 2005 computer and video game that was released right before the film release of the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie. Both the game and the movie are based on J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the fourth novel in the Harry Potter series.
The game follows the three main characters of the film — namely Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley — and there is an entirely new spell-casting system that allows for collaborative spells. The characters themselves more closely resemble their film counterparts than in previous games. It also has higher-quality graphics than the previous Harry Potter video games. However, the game play in the fourth video game is much more action-oriented, which is a change from the previous games.
In addition, players can play the game with friends, and can combine their magic and spells to make them more powerful. Players can also capture moving beans using Accio and increase their power with collectors, creature, and character, cards.
There is no RPG iteration of the game, unlike with previous titles. In addition, it was pointed out that unlike the previous installments, there was not much room to "run around" such as in the second game where you were allowed to move freely within the castle and on the grounds.
The game is divided into several non-consecutive levels, some of which are locked at the beginning of the game until the player collects enough Triwizard Shields to unlock it.
It is noted as the last Harry Potter game released on GameCube and Xbox, its also the first Harry Potter Game to get an E10+ Rating in North America .
Harry Potter is unexpectedly chosen as a fourth contender for the title of Triwizard Tournament champion in his fourth year at Hogwarts. Over the course of the school year, he must learn the spells and tricks necessary for him to be able to get through three difficult tasks and, ultimately, escape the clutches of infamous evil wizard Lord Voldemort.
The following actors have contributed their voices to the game for their characters:
- Daniel Larner – voice of Harry Potter (likeness provided by Daniel Radcliffe)
- Harper Marshall – voice of Hermione Granger (likeness provided by Emma Watson)
- Gregg Chillin - voice of Ron Weasley (likeness provided by Rupert Grint)
- Lewis Macleod – voice of Albus Dumbledore (likeness provided by Michael Gambon)
- Stanley Townsend – voice of Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody (likeness provided by Brendan Gleeson)
- Ralph Fiennes – Lord Voldemort
- Tom Goodman-Hill – voice of Peter Pettigrew (likeness provided by Timothy Spall)
- Boris Mitkova – voice of Viktor Krum (likeness provided by Stanislav Ianevski)
- Claudia Renton – voice of Fleur Delacour (likeness provided by Clémence Poésy)
Reviews of this Harry Potter game were mixed to negative. This was criticized for its lack of most features (especially role-playing elements) from the previous games and entirely different game play.
However, a positive score came from GameSpot, who gave the console versions a 7.3 out of 10.