|Subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Video game industry|
Media Molecule is a British video game developer based in Guildford in Surrey. The studio was founded in January 2006 by former Lionhead Studios employees Mark Healey, Alex Evans, Dave Smith, and Kareem Ettouney. Before starting the company, the founders worked together on Healey's independent game Rag Doll Kung Fu while still at Lionhead.
The studio's first game is the PlayStation 3 title LittleBigPlanet, which was announced and demonstrated at the Game Developers Conference 2007. The plan was always to produce a chart-topping game, but to keep the size of the company as small as possible so as to keep a tight rein on costs. Evans in particular was keen to avoid what he calls the "cycle of debt". It was chiefly this concern that led the founders to consider user-generated content. LittleBigPlanet 's best selling point became its set of level-creation tools and the ability to publish that content on the Internet. "Every time you boot up there are more levels to play," says Evans. Media Molecule won the Studio of the Year award at the Spike Video Game Awards 2008. LittleBigPlanet scored a 95 on Metacritic. The game also won numerous game of the year awards leading to a 'Game Of The Year Edition' a year later.
Media Molecule also helped SCE Studio Cambridge develop LittleBigPlanet for the PlayStation Portable released in 2009. Their next project has been revealed to be LittleBigPlanet 2, aimed at a Q4 2010 release, but the company still updates LittleBigPlanet through patches and DLC regularly.
|LittleBigPlanet||2008||PlayStation 3||Won various Game of the Year Awards and received a GOTY edition in 2009|
|LittleBigPlanet||2009||PlayStation Portable||Developed in conjunction with SCE Cambridge Studio|
|LittleBigPlanet 2||2010||PlayStation 3|
|Tearaway Unfolded||2015||PlayStation 4|
- Simons, Iain (2007). Inside Game Design. Laurence King (published 2007-09-27). ISBN 978-1856695329. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3046/book_excerpt_inside_game_design_.php. Retrieved 2007-12-14
- Media Molecule sign exclusive deal with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Media Molecule (2006-09-21). Retrieved on 2007-12-14
- Boyer, Brandon (2006-11-10). Q&A: The Organic Chemistry Of Media Molecule. Gamasutra. CMP Technology. Retrieved on 2007-12-14
- Media Molecule founders speak to Director magazine (2009-01-01).
- LittleBigPlanet on Metacritic
- Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Media Molecule Studios (2010-03-02). Retrieved on 2010-03-02
- Brian Crecente (2009-02-24). LittleBigPlanet, Rock Band, Assassin's Creed Coming to PSP. Kotaku.
- Miller, Greg (2009-02-24). MEGATON: Major Franchises Assault PSP. IGN. Retrieved on 2009-02-25
|This British corporation or company-related article is a Stub. You can help by adding to it.|
Template:Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios
da:Media Molecule fr:Media Molecule no:Media Molecule pt:Media Molecule fi:Media Molecule sv:Media Molecule tr:Media Molecule