Pocket Monsters: Pikachu is the sequel to Pocket Monsters: Blue. It is compatible with those games by use of the link cable to trade or battle, and share the same gameplay elements.
The primary difference is your starting Pokémon, which is unanimously Pikachu as the box art implies, to emulate the anime series that originated from Pocket Monsters: Blue. You can see and interact with your Pikachu outside of battles. It will deliberately refuse to evolve into Raichu unless traded to a different version. Also, your rival will be given an Eevee, which will evolve into one of its three evolutions depending on the win/loss ratio you have with your rival.
- Surfing Pikachu mini-game, there's a house on the beach near Fuschia City.
- All starter Pokémon: Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur can be obtained without the use of external trading, via NPCs.
- Two linked Yellow versions may battle in the following battle modes: Pika Cup, Poké Cup, and Petite Cup.
- Team Rocket, Jessie, James and Meowth appear in the game.
- Cerulean Cave has changed in layout from Pocket Monsters: Blue.
- In Viridian Forest, there are Level 9 Pidgeottos, which is otherwise impossible.
- There is a Missingno. Glitch, but it is done differently than in Pocket Monsters: Blue.
- When played on a Game Boy Color, different areas and Pokémon have different colouring.
The following Pokémon do not appear in Pocket Monsters: Pikachu, and must be traded from another version:
- Raichu/Generation IRaichu