|Sid Meier's Railroads!|
|Developer(s)||Firaxis Games, Feral Interactive (Mac OS X)|
|Publisher(s)||2K Games, Feral Interactive (Mac OS X)
|Release date||October 17, 2006 (NA)|
October 27, 2006 (EU)
|Genre||Business simulation game|
|Age rating(s)||ESRB: E|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X
|Credits | Soundtrack | Codes | Walkthrough|
Sid Meier's Railroads! is a business simulation game developed by Sid Meier on the Gamebryo game engine that was released in October 2006 and is the sequel to Railroad Tycoon 3. Although Sid Meier created the original Railroad Tycoon, subsequent versions were developed by PopTop Software. After a visit to Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany, Sid Meier was inspired to reinvent his original creation.
Railroads! is fully three-dimensional and geared more toward head to head real-time strategy than the previous versions. The terrain is also more compressed in this game; there are few areas where players are allowed a long, straight run of track, meaning that terrain, such as hills, mountains, rivers, and inlets, play a much more important role in the game.
The game is heavily focused on economics – players have to build and sustain entire industries using the railroads they develop. Gameplay changes from previous editions of Railroad Tycoon include a system where new technology is first auctioned to the highest bidder. This gives the player a ten-year exclusive use of that technology. Similarly, individual industries are also put up for auction amongst players. Tracklaying is automated and much easier than other editions of Railroad Tycoon. When combined with the more "compressed" terrain, it allows for tactical placement of track to obstruct and frustrate opponents.
Like the previous versions, Railroads! offers various historical scenarios, in regions such as the Southwestern United States, the Pacific Northwest, the United Kingdom, France and Germany. In these scenarios (fifteen in all), the game allows the user to take on the role of various famous railway tycoons and robber barons from the past.
There are a large number of trains available in the game, spanning the years 1828 to 1970.
- Interview with Sid Meier (Video). YouTube (2006).
- Sid Meier's Railroads!. Firaxis Games (2006).
- Sid Meier's Railroads!. GameSpot (2006). Retrieved on 2006-10-24
- Sid Meier's Railroads!. IGN (2006).
- Sid Meier's Railroads!. Game Informer (2006). Retrieved on 2006-10-24
- Full Barons List (Flash). 2K Games (2006).
- Sid Meier's Railroads! Patch 1.1 Release Notes
- List of custom maps at Sid Meier's Railroads! Simple!
- List of custom maps at "Bobby's Railroads"
- Full Train List (Flash). 2K Games (2006).
- Sid Meier's Railroads!. Metacritic.
- Sid Meier's Railroads! Review. IGN. Retrieved on 2008-05-15
fr:Sid Meier's Railroads! nl:Sid Meier's Railroads! no:Sid Meier's Railroads! pt:Sid Meier's Railroads! sv:Sid Meier's Railroads! zh:席德·梅尔之铁路