For a disambiguation of "Timegate" see: Timegate (disambiguation)
TimeGate Studios is an American video game developer based in Sugar Land, Texas (suburb of Houston, Texas). The company, which was founded in 1998, has released eight titles to this date.
TimeGate Studios was founded in 1998 by Alan and Adel Chaveleh, who respectively serve as Chairman and President of the studio. Since its commencement, the company has worked with industry publishers such as Vivendi Games, Take 2, Atari, Ubisoft, SouthPeak Games, and Gamecock.
TimeGate Studios' debut real-time strategy game, Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, won positive critical reception receiving several awards including “Strategy Game of the Year” in 2001 by Computer Gaming World, PC Gamer, and Computer Games Magazine. The standalone expansion pack, Kohan: Ahriman’s Gift, was released later that year and the company’s relative success with the Kohan franchise earned it a nomination for “Rookie Studio of the Year” from the IGDA in 2001.
The studio released an addition to the Kohan series in September 2004 with the release of Kohan II: Kings of War, which was featured as a “Top 10 Game” in 2004 by Computer Games Magazine. In November 2004, TimeGate Studios and Atari released Axis & Allies, a real-time strategy game that let players play the role of World War II’s different factions. This title is currently TimeGate's best-selling release to date.
The studio then began to develop in the genre of first-person shooters in October 2006 with the release of F.E.A.R. Extraction Point, an expansion pack for Vivendi’s horror game F.E.A.R (First Encounter Assault Recon.) F.E.A.R. Extraction Point was named “Best Expansion Pack of 2006” by PC Gamer. TimeGate Studios further propelled the F.E.A.R. series on the PC with the release of F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate in November 2007. The company released F.E.A.R. Files, a combination of both expansion packs, for the Xbox 360 in November 2007 as well.
The studio then began production on Section 8, a sci-fi first-person shooter that was released on the Xbox 360 and PC in September 2009. Several months later, TimeGate released Section 8 on the PlayStation 3 in March 2010. Further sequels have been hinted upon by TimeGate stating, "...it has never been our intent for it to be a one-product franchise," in reference to Section 8.
- Section 8: Prejudice - (2011)
- Section 8 – (2009)
- F.E.A.R. Files – (2007)
- F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate – (2007)
- F.E.A.R. Extraction Point – (2006)
- Axis & Allies – (2004), a real-time strategy variant of the Axis & Allies board game
- Kohan II: Kings of War – (2004)
- Kohan: Ahriman's Gift – (2001)
- Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns – (2001)
- TimeGate Studios - About Us - Sugar Land, Houston, Texas. TimeGate Information. TimeGate Studios (April 2010). Retrieved on 2010-04-12
- TimeGate Studios - News - Section 8 Drops on Playstation 3 Computer Entertainment System. TimeGate Information. TimeGate Studios (April 2010). Retrieved on 2010-04-12
- Section 8 Interview. Strategy Informer (April 2010). Retrieved on 2010-04-12